Reindex - Is this necessary after a vacuum?

From: Markus Benne <thing(at)m-bass(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Reindex - Is this necessary after a vacuum?
Date: 2005-10-25 13:56:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

We are reindexing frequently, and I'm wondering if
this is really necessary, given that it appears to
take an exclusive lock on the table.

Our table in question is vacuumed every 4 minutes, and
we are reindexing after each one.

I'm not a fan of locking this table that frequently,
even if it is only for 5 - 10 seconds depending on
load.

The vacuum is a standard vacuum. Nightly we do a
vacuum analyze.

Thanks for any tips,
...Markus