BUG #1987: UTF8 encoding differences hamper upgrades

From: "Paul Lindner" <lindner(at)inuus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1987: UTF8 encoding differences hamper upgrades
Date: 2005-10-22 15:33:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1987
Logged by: Paul Lindner
Email address: lindner(at)inuus(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1beta3
Operating system: Fedora Core 4 x86_64
Details:

I've been doing some test imports of UNICODE databases into Postgres

8.1beta3. The only problem I've seen is that some data from 8.0

databases will not import.

I've generated dumps using pg_dump from 8.0 and 8.1. Attempting to

restore these results in

Invalid UNICODE byte sequence detected near byte ...

Question:

Does the 8.1 Unicode sanity code accept the full set of characters

accepted by the 8.0 Unicode sanity code?

If not we'll see a lot of problems like the one above.

I believe this patch is the one causing the problem I see:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg08198/unicode.di
ff

Is there any solution other than scrubbing the entire dataset to

conform to the new (8.1) encoding rules?