Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is Postgres comparable to MSSQL
Date: 2005-10-18 19:42:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 12:15:33PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> Note that the .ORG TLD is mostly managed via PostgreSQL. .INFO too (but
> .ORG is much bigger and more impressive)? Also take a look at the case

Actually, it may surprise y'all to know this, but last year info was
actually bigger than org for a little while. Afilias has been very
aggressive in building .info, and intends to continue. In late 2004,
.info added a million names in two days (though, in the spirit of
openness, I'll point out that part of that was due to a sales
promotion, so we don't expect 100% of them to renew). While I'm
being all rah-rah, I'll also point out, for those of you in the
web-design business, that .info has available an awful lot of those
desirable strings that have been taken up in .com. Here, for
instance, are some interesting random finds:

andrew(at)dba3:~$ whois oraclecorp.info
NOT FOUND

whois ibmdb2.info
NOT FOUND

whois mssqlserver.info
NOT FOUND

whois mysqlab.info
NOT FOUND

(Sorry, folks, that was just too tempting.)

To drag this back on topic, I should note, also, that several country
code TLDs, including .IN, use PostgreSQL. Folks at Afilias (not
including me, but including Chris Browne, of Slony fame) got the .IN
registry up and running in something around 6 weeks last year, and
the .IN registry experienced the highest growth of any top-level
domain since .info went live in 2001, beating the .cn re-launch in
percentage growth.

Our experience with PostgreSQL has been extremely positive; that's
why we keep putting more systems on it, and why we devote resources,
including staff resources, to it. We're not a database-support
company, and yet we employ a back end developer full time, and put
other staff members to work on projects like Slony (and have them
show up here, too). That's not charity. It's just good sense: we
run our registries (i.e. our core business) on PostgreSQL; we have a
custom accounting system we built with PostgreSQL; we do just about
everything with PostgreSQL. But because we have access to the source
code, we can be better experts in our database technology than any of
our competitors can be in theirs (well, until they get the right
idea, too; but now we have a four year head start). That's why we
can get systems up and running faster than anyone else in our
industry.

Ok, I'll stop gushing now.

I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to. That actually seems sort of quaint now.
--J.D. Baldwin