Re: BUG #1971: Start Transaction is giving Errors !!!

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Yogaraj(dot) C" <c_yog(at)rediffmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1971: Start Transaction is giving Errors !!!
Date: 2005-10-18 14:32:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Yogaraj. C wrote:

> When I was executing the procedure (with Transaction), postgres will
> producing the following error.
>
> ERROR: SPI_prepare() failed on "START TRANSACTION"
> CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "sp_example1" line 4 at SQL statement
>
> If anyone know the solution for this, pleas help me.

NOTABUG. You are not allowed to use transaction commands using SPI,
which in particular means PL/pgSQL. Use the EXCEPTION clause if you
need a savepoint-like feature. Note that you can't close the
transaction that started the function.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34
"El sudor es la mejor cura para un pensamiento enfermo" (Bardia)