Re: Oracle buys Innobase

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-18 00:50:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Monday 17 October 2005 18:09, Robert Bernier wrote:
> On Monday 17 October 2005 17:47, Chris Travers wrote:
> > Robert Bernier wrote:
> > >Hey, don't forget MySQL AB is a European company. This won't fly like it
> > > would in the US, the anti-trust laws are stricter.
> >
> > Why not? One would be hard to argue that removing MySQL from the market
> > place would have any adverse effect on competition. Are competitors
> > then never allowed to merge in the EU? Besides who would have standing
> > to sue? IANAL though and I am an American so I could misunderstand
> > something pretty fundamental.
>
> In canada we have a thing called the competition bureau, a company is not
> allowed to buy another company if its to reduce competition

By that definition no company could ever buy any other company even if they
wanted a mutual merger, so I don't think that is the case. Oracle buying
my$ql wouldn't even cause the legislature to blink... if you dont believe me
just look at the track record of oracle with peoplesoft/sap, a market where
there really isn't much competition, unlike the db market where there are a
least a dozen legitimate competitors in the field. More importantly, my$ql
has said themselves numerous times they "don't compete with oracle" so using
there own words you can't put oracle on an anti-competitive practice
(whoops!).

--
Robert Treat