PostgreSQL/Linux/IO Scheduler/File Systems and Performance

From: Craig Servin <cservin(at)cromagnon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL/Linux/IO Scheduler/File Systems and Performance
Date: 2005-10-17 14:25:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

I was wondering if someone has done some comparison of PostgreSQL performance
and can make some recommendations on running PostgreSQL on linux.

I am guessing that PostgreSQL IO patterns do not match what is generally
looked at in file system benchmarks. So I am wondering if someone has
already tested the various linux file systems and IO scheduler combinations
and can make a recommendation.

Thanks,

Craig