more than one row returned by a subquery used as an expression

From: CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: more than one row returned by a subquery used as an expression
Date: 2005-10-14 00:05:56
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to get this query to work:

update sectors set companies =(select companies from
industries where sector_id =sectors.id);

PG returns:

ERROR: more than one row returned by a subquery used
as an expression

Column companies is just a count of rows in the
related companies table. Queries like this worked:

update industries set companies =(select count(id)
from companies where industry_id =industries.id);

I know I could do a join in the subselect, but I'm
curious why this doesn't work. If I do the subselect
by itself, it looks like all of the rows from the
industries table are return (I expected an error). Is
this the "implicit FROM" gotcha?

CSN

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/