Re: .pgpass does not work for createlang

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: John Shin <jshin(at)multifamilytechsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .pgpass does not work for createlang
Date: 2005-10-11 20:00:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

[Please copy the mailing list on replies so others can participate
in and learn from the discussion.]

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:16:40AM -0700, John Shin wrote:
> Tried many diffent ways but nothing seems to stick for createlang.
> .pgpass works for all others (createdb, dropdb, createuser, dropuser,
> etc.)

[snip]

> -bash-3.00$ createdb test -h localhost -U postgres
> CREATE DATABASE

Hmmm...this command fails with "too many command-line arguments"
on both FreeBSD and Solaris (8.0.4 built from source on both), so
I wonder if your build is using a getopt_long() that behaves
differently than what I'm using. Might not matter, though.

> -bash-3.00$ createlang -h localhost -U postgres plpgsql test
> Password:

Have you done a process trace (strace, ktrace, truss, etc.) to see
if createlang is even looking for .pgpass? Does it work if you
set the PGUSER environment variable instead of using the -U option?

You mentioned FC4, so maybe Tom Lane or somebody more familiar
with that platform has some ideas about what's happening.

--
Michael Fuhr