Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Feedback from LinuxWorld, London
Date: 2005-10-10 19:42:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:44:29PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >>And of course they are right.  Porting from MySQL to PostgreSQL is a
> >>problem, one which could only be solved by dumbing down PostgreSQL to
> >>accept many of MySQL's idiosyncracies, which isn't going to happen.
> >
> >There are many features that could be implimented in PostgreSQL in a way
> >that was both logical and supported MySQL converters, though. The recent
> >discussion on one of the lists about adding enum as a type is an
> >example. I'm sure there are others.
> >
> >I think the best way to increase migration from MySQL to PostgreSQL
> >would be to find out what the biggest pains are for users attempting to
> >migrate and then figure out how we can reduce that pain. In some cases
> >these solutions might be adding features to PostgreSQL, but many of them
> >might just involve improving existing migration tools.
> Couldn't these features be mostly added as a 'MySQL Compatibility add-on'?
> For instance, the enum type you list above ... ?

There's issues with doing that. I know one problem is that you currently
can't pass parameters in when you define a column in a table, which you
need to be able to do for an enum.

But like I said, if we want to improve migration we should find out
where the users have pain and concentrate on that. That was actually the
context of the enum discussion. I threw enum out as an example and
everyone latched onto it, missing the overall point of trying to improve
migration from MySQL.
Pervasive Software    work: 512-231-6117
vcard:       cell: 512-569-9461