Re: Inheritance and Partitioning

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inheritance and Partitioning
Date: 2005-10-09 13:56:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

Simon Riggs wrote:
> I'm currently doing the docs for CE & Partitioning.
>
> The ddl.sgml chapter had a section on Inheritance. I'm expanding that
> section and splitting it into two:
>
> INHERITANCE & PARTITIONING
> 1. Table Partitioning
> Existing chapter, but with more detail of a general nature that
> will be important information when we discuss...
>
> 2. Basic Partitioning using Constraint Exclusion
> How to enhance inheritance with constraints to allow CE. How that
> works to provide basic partitioning, with examples and long list of
> caveats.

Hmm, sorry, I missed most of the discussion on CE -- is it used only
in inheritance? Maybe you should add a separate section on
partitioning, referring to the inheritance section where appropiate.
But they are clearly not the same feature.

Also, it will be more clearly separated as we add more partitioning
related features, right?

--
Alvaro Herrera Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early.