Re: BUG #1948: Enhancement Request - INSERT syntax

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: test_autoincrement <tony(at)marston-home(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1948: Enhancement Request - INSERT syntax
Date: 2005-10-08 19:52:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:49:58PM +0100, test_autoincrement wrote:
> This is not user-friendly, and I think the SQL committee made a big mistake
> in defining totally different structures for the INSERT and UPDATE
> statements.
Matter of opinion.

> MySQL already offers this option, so why can't you?

MySQL also thinks it's OK to truncate data. Comparing PostgreSQL to them
isn't a very good way to go about getting a feature added.

Ultimately, I highly doubt that anyone on -hackers has any interest in
this, so it's very unlikely to get done unless you do it yourself (or
pay someone to do it). Even then I suspect -hackers might reject it.