Re: order of performance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: order of performance
Date: 2005-10-06 02:58:53
Lists: sfpug
Jeff,

> > 10. Linux 2.6.10+
>
> Do you think the 2.6.10 kernel added something special or is it 2.6.x in
> general?

The "not crashing" feature.

> I was a solaris admin for years and years..I like Sun too!  How close is
> the Solaris x86 performance with Solaris 10?

Not.  It's like using HP-UX or Linux 2.0.   The biggest issue is the lack of
advanced filesystem support (Solaris still uses the stone-age version of UFS)
forcing applications to all handle their own readahead, cache management, etc
(which as you know Postgres doesn't).  Also, there's an issue with sorts
we're still working out which may be a bug in the PostgreSQL code.

That being said, we are actively working with several technicians at Sun, and
PostgreSQL 8.2 (with Solaris 10.1) might restore Solaris to a competitive
position.   Also, keep in mind that I do data warehousing; I understand the
the OLTP performance numbers are closer to the Linux equivalents.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions