Re: order of performance

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: order of performance
Date: 2005-10-06 02:48:59
Lists: sfpug

Jeff,

> Anyone know if this is the correct order of performance (highest to lowest)
> for comparable hardware:
>
> Linux (particular distros?)
> FreeBSD

Linux and FreeBSD are interesting. It'd be more accurate to rank them:

10. Linux 2.6.10+
9. FreeBSD 4 or 5

7. Linux 2.4 -

... with the jury still out on the beta FreeBSD 6. A lot of the advantage of
recent Linuxes comes from the varied and advanced filesystem support.
Overall, your particular configuration could wipe out any generalized
differences between these.

So I'd say, between Linux and FreeBSD, go with the one you're more comfortable
admin'ing.

> Solarisx86

shhhh .... don't tell Sun that Solaris is slow. They like us.

> Windows

Actually, nobody has done a head-to-head on Windows vs. other OSes for
Postgres that I know of. Other platforms you would choose for some reason
other than performance:
HP-UX, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and OSX.

Also, AIX can kick ass for PostgreSQL if you can afford the hardware.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions