how to monitor connections to postgres database

From: jing han <jing_han_66(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: postgres interface <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to monitor connections to postgres database
Date: 2005-10-04 13:11:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I met a problem that the max_connections configured in
postgresql.conf are exceeded when my program runs for
6 days. I set max_connections = 30.

I use watch -d "ps ax |grep postgres" to monitor how
many connections to database, I found my program have
at most 6 connections to database. I couldn't figure
out how the max_connections are exceeded.

Is this the only way to monitor how many connections
to database? Are there other ways to monitor how many
connections to database?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

jing

http://mail.yahoo.com