Re: Trouble Connecting to DB After PGAdmin3 1.2.2 pgsql 7.4.5 Backup and 8.03 Restore - SOLVED w/ QUESTION

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble Connecting to DB After PGAdmin3 1.2.2 pgsql 7.4.5 Backup and 8.03 Restore - SOLVED w/ QUESTION
Date: 2005-10-03 23:02:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

> i used pgadmin3 to back up a 7.4.5 database and
> restore it to an 8.03 database. it can't connect to
> the database using using
>
> host: quality.mydomain.com
> user: postgres
> password: pass
> db name: edb
>
> (the above should be right)
>
> when i enable adodb's error reporting, i see the the
> db tries to run the query an returns 0 results. the
> data is there and the query is simple - select
> some_data from some table order by some data asc.
>
> i had 70 errors ignored - it appears the error were
> related "Owner" being the owner of my laptop db and
> not existing in the new db. when i check the new
> owner in the new db, "postgres" is listed - and that
> is what i want.
>
> here is an example of the returned output...
>
> pg_restore.exe -i -h quality.mydomain.com -p 5432 -U
> postgres -d "edb" -v "C:\Documents and
> Settings\Owner\Desktop\pgsql_backup.backup"
> pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
> pg_restore: creating SCHEMA public
> pg_restore: creating COMMENT SCHEMA public
> pg_restore: creating FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler()
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING
> TOC:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 9;
> 1255 140168 FUNCTION plpgsql_call_handler() Owner
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query:
> ERROR: user "Owner" does not exist
> Command was: ALTER FUNCTION
> public.plpgsql_call_handler() OWNER TO "Owner";
>
> i'd appreciate a heads up as to what i have messed
> up
> or what i might test / check to get this working.
>
> note: i'm using adodb's "postgresql8" in order to
> tell adob what db i'm using. hwoever, adodb debug
> puts postgresql7 before the select statements that
> it
> displays. i'm not sure if this is important or not.

i figured out why i couldn't get any data...

i use this adodb code to connect to my db...

$db->Connect($db_string,$db_owner,$db_pw,$db_name);

if $db_string has a value, it won't connect. it i
don't give it a value, it connects.

eg, if i define $db_string = 'localhost' or
'quality.mydomain.com, the code won't connect.

is this expected behavior?

http://mail.yahoo.com