Re: 8.1 'make check' fails

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Wes <wespvp(at)syntegra(dot)com>
Cc: William ZHANG <uniware(at)zedware(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.1 'make check' fails
Date: 2005-10-02 21:13:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:15:05PM -0500, Wes wrote:
> On 10/2/05 7:48 AM, "William ZHANG" <uniware(at)zedware(dot)org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, the Makefiles cannot deal with spaces correctly.
> > Seems we should avoid use the `complicated' path.
>
> Such paths are normal on systems with a GUI interface. They are not out of
> the ordinary nor complicated.

Problem is, the space is also the word seperator. So if you have a
space seperated list of words (ie normal for make), names with spaces
are a pain.

It occurred to me that you might be able to replace the spaces in the
paths with question marks. Then any invokation of the shell will expand
the question mark back to a space as part of parameter expansion.

Alternativly, replace the spaces with some utf-8 sequence that looks
like a space but isn't an ASCII space. Windows is case-insensetive so
it may map the different "spaces" together, but they'd be distinct for
make.

Good luck...