Re: PostgreSQL / ODBC / Ms-SQL 2000

From: "Thomas Knoop" <Th(dot)Knoop(at)Talisma(dot)nl>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL / ODBC / Ms-SQL 2000
Date: 2005-09-30 09:12:04
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Dave,

>>> SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(MYLINKEDSERVER, 'SELECT * FROM
>>> public.mytable WHERE foo < 10 LIMIT 5')

>> Well this does not work either, remember i'm creating a view....

> CREATE VIEW foo AS SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(MYLINKEDSERVER,
> 'SELECT * FROM public.mytable WHERE foo < 10 LIMIT 5')

;) Yes, thanks, what i mean is that this view is limited to 5 records

The application that needs to use this view treats this view as a table, and
it will not get any result (or at least limited to the 5 records) from it
because it executes this command on the view:

SELECT FLD1, FLD2 FROM foo WHERE (FDL1 = 20000)

> However, SQL Server still doesn't like doing this with psqlODBC,
> as others on the net have found it also doesn't work with Oracle.

So does that mean then it will never work in this 'native' mode with MS-SQL
and Oracle?

>> Would it be strange to suggest that we use a 'dummy' catalog in the
>> ODBC driver for MS-SQL?

> That won't work because the driver would then report the servers
capabilities
> incorrectly to applications which may then generate invalid queries.

But the driver could ignore the catalog and rewrite those commands, could't
it?

Thanks again for your thoughts on this!

Best regards,
Thomas.