Re: TAS definitions on Solaris x86 with GCC

From: Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TAS definitions on Solaris x86 with GCC
Date: 2005-09-28 19:20:53
Lists: pgsql-ports

> Hmmm ... you really shouldn't be using the out-of-line tas.s code for
> gcc-based builds on any common architecture.

Thanks, that answers my questions about which TAS code should be in the build.

Both sets of code will be compiled into any solaris 32bit build, but the
inline code should be the code in use. When compiling a 64bit build with GCC
on solaris 10 x86, the out-of-line tas.s code will fail to build and tas.s
must therefore be manually linked to dummy.s.

> I think the problem may be
> that the case statement in src/template/solaris is testing for "i?86"
> which probably doesn't match your x86_64 host.

The 7.4 template is not checking for $GCC before linking tas.s, probably
assuming that any solaris host is using SunCC.

8.0.3 & 8.1beta1 check for !GCC before linking to solaris_i386.s, which is
correct.

Thanks for your help.