Re: Re-run query on automatic reconnect

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re-run query on automatic reconnect
Date: 2005-09-27 22:36:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 02:52:02PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:23:03PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > Is there any particular reason why psql doesn't re-run a query that
> > failed due to disconnect from the server after re-connecting? I've
> > thought maybe it's because it might somehow be dangerous, but I can't
> > think of any case where that's actually true.
>
> What if the query itself resulted in the disconnect by causing the
> backend to crash?  Re-running such a query automatically would be
> a bad idea.  Or did I misunderstand what you're asking?

The case I was thinking of was...

psql> run some command...

psql returns from call

user does something else; meanwhile, server forced shutdown/crash

user comes back, tries to run some query and gets automatic reconnect

In any case, Tom brought up a bunch of cases where this would be a bad
idea, so my question's answored.