Re: Questions about proper newline handling in psql output

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about proper newline handling in psql output
Date: 2005-09-27 13:02:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Sonntag, 25. September 2005 22:45 schrieb Martijn van Oosterhout:
> 1. To be able to control the spacing, psql now has to be very careful
> about its output. eg \r is printed as \r, ascii control characters are
> output as \x00 style and other control chars as \u0000. This is a
> change from previous behaviour, yet you're pretty much forced to if you
> want to control the output.

I don't think this is necessary. If you put control characters into your
text, then you clearly don't care about aligned output, so you don't get any.
About \r, I think that needs to be figured into the alignment calculation, to
work well on Windows and Mac.

> 2. Currently I've changed the aligned outputs but not the unaligned
> ones. Given you're not worrying about alignment there anyway, why do
> the work? Also, we recommend unaligned output for script users so I
> don't feel right changing it.

I think this could be a separate feature.

> 3. How to show that a value is continued? As you can see below I use
> ':' before columns that have data. This obviously doesn't work for
> first column if there's no outer border. If your border style is 0
> you're totally out of luck.

I think you need to keep the normal delimiter and need some extra mark within
the table cells. (Think about how it would have to look in an HTML table.)

--
Peter Eisentraut