Re: Questions about proper newline handling in psql output

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about proper newline handling in psql output
Date: 2005-09-27 14:08:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 12:12:15AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> > 4. Some system output like pg_views has really really long strings,
> > would it be acceptable to change the output there to add newlines at
> > various places to make it output nicer with this change?
>
> I'd say no, until you propose a more concrete set of rules on how and when.

Well, I was thinking before the keywords SELECT, FROM, WHERE, AND,
ORDER BY, GROUP BY and HAVING. For bonus indent subqueries also. But
I'm not too fussed, it was just a thought. In fact, we already do it
for the output of \d for views, some maybe a hint from there...

> > Query is: select oid, prosrc as "HdrLine1 HdrLine2", proacl from pg_proc limit 1;
>
> Some smaller samples with a third column (and a large 2nd one) might be nice.

Ok, multiline strings in the pg_catalog are thin on the ground, I was
hoping to use real data rather than stuff I made up. (Real data has a
habit of showing weaknesses far better than things you dream up). But
I'll give it a shot.