Re: [HACKERS] statement logging / extended query protocol

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] statement logging / extended query protocol
Date: 2005-09-27 06:26:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 11:50:01PM +0200, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com wrote:

> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote on 26.09.2005, 18:31:16:

> > > I documented in TODO what doesn't log properly in 8.1. I don't
> > > see how logging output has to be backward compatible.
> >
> > Dunno about this particular case, but not having
> > backward-compatible logging output has already broken pqa.
> > Proposal on logging to -hackers follows...
>
> Guys,
>
> The changes I initiated, were caused solely by the complete
> inability of PostgreSQL 8.0 log files to allow performance tuning
> for v3 protocol clients (i.e. JDBC as the main one). That's been a
> major obstacle for everybody I have talked to all year.

I agree that you fixed a bug, and I apologize for haring off on that
thread with a not-quite-related suggestion.

> I had no wish at all to alter logging, but neither did anyone else, so
> something had to be done. Regression to 8.0 way of doing things (i.e.
> no logging) is *not* an option unless we want to lose friends, rather
> than gain them. So, the log format needs changing... and we have no
> need for backwards compatibility.

Right.

> (pqa 1.5 is broken. It doesn't even run its sample 7.4 log file
> properly. Thats a separate issue to what the log file format is. I
> do like 1.4 though.)

pqa 1.5 works on log files from 8.0 if they're only prefixed with a
timestamp.

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!