Re: State of support for back PG branches

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Date: 2005-09-27 06:11:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:54:46PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >[ raised eyebrow... ]  Has bizgres obtained a crystal ball from
> >somewhere?  There is *no* way anyone could provide you anything that
> >has any legitimate claim on the name "PG 8.2" three months from now.
> >

> I **think** what he meant was that depending on what Bizgres has done in
> the next three
> months they may not run 8.1 but run Bizgres instead.

Partly that, yes. Once 8.1 has stabilized we'll look at 8.1, bizgres
as current at that point and the 8.2 crystal ball and decide where the
sweet spot is for our needs.

The only crystal ball involved is the assumption that if bizgres has
Neat Stuff(tm) that would be of widespread use in it's development
tree at that point then the odds are good that it, or something
functionally equivalent to it, will appear in the 8.2 development
tree. If the neat stuff is neat enough we may push off an update from
7.4 and develop using some of that neat stuff, with the plan of
deploying either to bizgres or to 8.2.

(My best guess right now is that 8.1 will be the right thing to move to,
 but I'm delaying that decision until next year.)

Cheers,
  Steve