Re: PGsql failure

From: William Makowski <meriadoc(at)cox(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGsql failure
Date: 2005-09-13 03:05:48
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

> From: JUAN ERNESTO FLORES BELTRAN
>
> Actually i have successfully instaled PostgreSQL8.0 on my PC (windows
> 200), i can enter to the PgadminIII environment and it shows one
> server "Servers(1)" however it is not possible to connect to the
> server and access the default database "template1", it request for my
> password as expected but the connection fails.
>
> I wander what kind of problem could i have, on the other hand i have
> configured the path as follows: 'C:\Archivos de
> programa\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin' i thoght this could be the problem.
>
> I tried "psql to template1" console wich allows SQL commands, and it
> just quit everytime y try. I really don´t know what to do, is it
> nessesary to re-install pgsql again?
>
> Thanks for your answers.-

Most installation methods require that you run initdb
immediately after installing. The initdb command will
set up your database cluster. Basically this is a
group of files where your data gets stored. The
syntax from the command prompt is...

initdb -D <data-directory>

Replace <data-directory> with the physical location
where you want to put your data. After running
initdb you should start the postmaster and point it
at that directory. That can be done with pg_ctl...

pg_ctl start -D <data-directory>

Then run createdb... createdb mydb

Now you should be able to use the commmand psql mydb
to connect to that database.

Bill