Re: BUG #1870: Insertion problem

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Sijin MS <sijin(dot)ms(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1870: Insertion problem
Date: 2005-09-11 03:37:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:54:05AM +0100, Sijin MS wrote:
> We are a Software Provider and promoting Linux. Most of our clients are
> using Linux. We are using postgres v7.3.2-3 as a backend for our application
> software. While inserting data into table, we found that sometime the data
> is not inserting into the table and also haven't raise any error messages.
> But if we do the same process again then it is inserting into the table
> properly.

You haven't given us much to go on, but I'll point out that a number
of bugs have been fixed since 7.3.2, some involving data loss.
Those bugs aren't necessarily responsible for the behavior you're
seeing, but you should consider upgrading nonetheless.  If you must
stay with 7.3 then consider upgrading to 7.3.10 (the latest).  See
the Release Notes for a summary of bug fixes and other changes:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/release.html

Regarding your application: what language and API are you using?
How do users interface with the application (custom GUI, web browser,
etc.)?  How are you checking for errors?  Are you sure that the
application *would* detect errors if they occurred (i.e., have you
tested the error checking code by intentionally causing errors)?
Do the server's logs show any error messages?  How often does this
happen?  Can you duplicate the problem on demand?  How long after
the insert are you checking whether the data was inserted?  How are
you checking?  Could the data have been inserted and then deleted?
Might the inserting transaction have been rolled back?  Do you have
any triggers that might be silently discarding the insert?

--
Michael Fuhr