Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New Survey: where did you get your PostgreSQL?
Date: 2005-09-09 12:04:01
Lists: pgsql-www
On Friday 09 September 2005 03:40, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:07:12PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Survey:
> >
> > Where did you get your current production copy of PostgreSQL from?
> >
> > 1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
> > 2) In a Linux distribution
> > 3) In the Ports Collection
> > 4) From some other Open Source web site
> > 5) Some other way
>
> What about packages for Windows & Mac?  Also, why the bias towards
> source installs and *n*x systems?

David, is there some other site that offers Windows download packages? I mean,
unless your getting it from us I don't know how else people would get it.

Josh are you sure these categories are specific enough... I see some confusion
for debian/gentoo users, and perhaps Fink should be mentioned for OSX? Of
course we only get 8 slots... How about

1) FTP/Bittorrent from PostgreSQL.org
2) Included with your Operating System Distribution (Ports/Fink/Yum/Apt/etc..)
3) Some other Open Source website
4) Commerical Distribution (Powergres/EnterpriseDB/Bizgres/etc..)
5) Other

We could also ask them to email "Other" entries to webmaster or something...
we could then add in a suggestion or two if they come.

--
Robert Treat