Re: Can a pg_dump file be loaded into a different OS?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Anye M(dot) Sellers" <anyeone(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can a pg_dump file be loaded into a different OS?
Date: 2005-09-06 13:27:12
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:12:06AM -0700, Anye M. Sellers wrote:
> I've got a client that has Postgres running on Linux
> but my own development environment is on Windows. Is
> it feasible for me to have him do a pg_dump through
> the pgAdmin tool and then for me to restore that file,
> or are the files formatted differently in both OS's?

See the documentation for pg_dump:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/app-pgdump.html

"Dumps can be output in script or archive file formats. Script
dumps are plain-text files.... Script files can be used to reconstruct
the database even on other machines and other architectures...."

"The archive files are also designed to be portable across
architectures."

--
Michael Fuhr