Re: 8.1 and syntax checking at create time

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org,Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1 and syntax checking at create time
Date: 2005-08-31 19:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 11:59:47AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> There is a  difference between *syntax* errors and *sql* errors.    If a
> table does not exist, we don't want to check for that and bounce the
> function; possibly the function will only be called in a context where the
> table does exist.

It would still be nice to have, with a way to over-ride it, either via
an option to CREATE FUNCTION or with some directive to plpgsql itself
inside the function body (probably the most useful case since it allows
disabling error checking just where it's needed).
Pervasive Software        http://pervasive.com        512-569-9461