Re: Swapping

From: Tobias Brox <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>
To: Carlos Henrique Reimer <carlosreimer(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Swapping
Date: 2005-08-31 19:22:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
[Carlos Henrique Reimer - Wed at 03:25:15PM -0300]
> I´m trying to tune a linux box with a 12 GB database and 4 GB RAM. First
> of all I would like to stop the swapping, so the shared_buffers and sort_mem
> were decreased but even so it started swapping two hours after DBMS started
> up.
>
> I would like to know some suggestions how to discover why is it swapping?

I agree with Tom Lane, nothing to worry about.  Swapping is not a problem
per se, aggressive swapping is a problem.  If you are absolutely sure you
want to ban all swapping, use "swapoff"?

I'd trust linux to handle swap/cache sensibly.  Eventually, become involved
with kernel hacking ;-)

--
Notice of Confidentiality: This email is sent unencrypted over the network,
and may be stored on several email servers; it can be read by third parties