Swapping

From: Carlos Henrique Reimer <carlosreimer(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Swapping
Date: 2005-08-31 18:25:15
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi,

I´m trying to tune a linux box with a 12 GB database and 4 GB RAM. First of all I would like to stop the swapping, so the shared_buffers and sort_mem were decreased but even so it started swapping two hours after DBMS started up.

I would like to know some suggestions how to discover why is it swapping?

I´ve collected the following data from the environment and saved at http://paginas.terra.com.br/educacao/rei/dados.htm

1. select version()
2. uname -a
3. cat /proc/cpuinfo