[boonloo@gmail.com: DB Seminar, Fri 9/2 1:10pm, 380 Soda Hall]

From: elein(at)varlena(dot)com (elein)
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Subject: [boonloo@gmail.com: DB Seminar, Fri 9/2 1:10pm, 380 Soda Hall]
Date: 2005-08-31 18:12:39
Lists: sfpug

FYI

----- Forwarded message from Boon Thau Loo <boonloo(at)gmail(dot)com> -----

From: Boon Thau Loo <boonloo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: dblunch(at)triplerock(dot)CS(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU
Subject: DB Seminar, Fri 9/2 1:10pm, 380 Soda Hall

We're pleased to announce the UC Berkeley Database group seminar for fall 2005.
We have an exciting list of scheduled speakers ( http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/
dblunch.html) for this semester. Our first seminar will be this friday (Sept 2)
in 380 Soda from 1:10-2:30pm:

The UC Berkeley Database Group Seminar
Alon Halevy (Washington) and Michael Franklin (UC Berkeley)

Friday, Sept 2, 2005
380 Soda Hall
1:10-2:30 pm

Title: "Dataspaces: a new abstraction for data management"

Abstract:
The development of relational database management systems focused the data
management com­munity for decades, with spectacular results. Now, addressing
the rapidly-expanding demands of "data everywhere" has led to a field comprised
of interesting and productive efforts, but without a central focus or
coordinated agenda. We propose Dataspace Systems as new data management
abstraction whose goal is to address the key issues facing organizations today
( e.g., enterprises, government agencies, libraries, "smart" homes, the desktop
and many others), where data management relies on a large number of diverse,
interrelated data sources. In contrast to previous efforts of data integration,
dataspace systems present the advantages of data management without having to
fully integrate sources. The goal of the seminar is to discuss the new
concepts, rather than presenting a finished research result.

Bio:
Dr. Alon Halevy received his Bachelors degree in Computer Science and
Mathematics from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1988, and his Ph.D in
Computer Science from Stanford University in 1993. From 1993 to 1997, Dr.
Halevy was a principal member of technical staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories, and
then at AT&T Laboratories. He joined the faculty of the Computer Science and
Engineering Department at the University of Washington in 1998.
Dr. Halevy's research interests are in data integration, management of XML
data, web-site management, peer-data management systems, query optimization,
database theory, knowledge representation, and more generally, the the
intersection between Database and AI technologies. His research developed
several systems, such as the Information Manifold data integration system, the
Strudel web-site management system, and the Tukwila XML data integration
system. He was also a co-developer of XML-QL, which later contributed to the
development of XQuery standard for querying XML data. In 1999, Dr. Halevy
co-founded Nimble Technology, whose product is a data integration system based
on XML. In 2004, Dr. Halevy founded Transformic Inc., a company that creates
tools for bridging semantic heterogeneity between disparate data sources.
Dr. Halevy was a Sloan Fellow (1999-2000), and received the Presidential Early
Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2000. He serves on the
editorial boards of the VLDB Journal, the Journal of Artificial Intelligence
Research (currently, a member of the advisory committee), and ACM Transactions
on Internet Technology.

----- End forwarded message -----