New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New PGSQL and Linux Setup on Old Box
Date: 2005-08-30 17:32:34
Lists: pgsql-novicepgsql-odbc
i'm wanting to set up my own pgsql linux server on my
LAN at home.  i'm pretty new to linux (as in, brand
spankin'!).

i'm thinking of using an older computer - i think it
is a pii 300, or something like that.

i'm thinking i want to run vectorlinux 4.3.

can pgsql 8.0x run fine on such an old computer?  if
so, is vectorlinux a good choice?  are there any other
distros that allow for easy installation of the latest
version of postgres?

the reason i chose vectorlinux is because the
installation instructions were understandable - i'm
pretty decent when it comes to following cogent and
thorough instructions.

cogent, thorough instructions are HUGE, *HUGE* plus.

tia...

ps - i suppose redhat (fedora) would be a great choice
(shameless plug for Tom's company!) since business is
so familiar with it, however, i don't think the latest
versions will run very well on my old box).  do
correct me if i'm wrong, though!