Re: see all queries incoming

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Kretschmer Andreas <andreas_kretschmer(at)despammed(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: see all queries incoming
Date: 2005-08-28 13:19:23
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:37:00PM +0200, Kretschmer Andreas wrote:
> Flávio Brito <flavio(at)gral(dot)org(dot)br> schrieb:
> > How can I see, such as MSSQL screen, all queries that are processing in real
> > time?
> >
> > I want to monitor all the queries that are being processed by a user in real
> > time.
>
> watch "echo \"SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity;\" | psql -U <user> <db>

Does that actually work on your system?  On the system I tested it
sends screen control garbage to the pipe.  Aside from that, "watch"
isn't a standard command -- on one of my systems (FreeBSD) I get this:

  watch: fatal: cannot open snoop device

On another (Solaris) I get this:

  watch: Command not found.

Additionally, periodically doing "SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity"
isn't a reliable way to see *all* queries, as you'll miss queries
that happened between your SELECTs.  It's also wasteful of resources,
especially if you start a new session for each query.

--
Michael Fuhr