Unable to run psql

From: "Thomas E Dukes" <edukes(at)alltel(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to run psql
Date: 2005-08-27 21:12:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I am trying to setup a database for an app that requires postresql. My
system is running CentOS 4.1 using postgres 7.4.8. I have never used
postgresql before. I have worked on this most of today and about to delete
it from my harddrive.

I added a password for 'postgres' using passwd. I can login or su as
'postgres' but when I run psql and enter the password it fails because the
password is invalid.

I'm as lost as I was at 8:00 this morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!