Re: LOG entries: "could not receive data from client" ?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: me(at)alternize(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOG entries: "could not receive data from client" ?
Date: 2005-08-27 05:19:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 03:34:30AM +0200, me(at)alternize(dot)com wrote:
> we're lately migrating our MSSQL server to PGSQL 8. the performance is
> great and i'm more than happy with PG. still, i've found quite a lot of
> the following logfile entries:
>
> 2005-08-26 18:54:26 LOG: could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
>
> sometimes the error is accompagnied with this one:
>
> 2005-08-26 15:59:23 LOG: unexpected EOF on client connection
>
> - but most the time not.

The error appears to be ECONNRESET, or whatever the Windows equivalent
is. Apparently the client abruptly closed the connection instead
of doing it nicely; if you were to run a sniffer on the connection
you'd probably see the client sending RST instead of following the
proper application- and TCP-layer shutdown protocols. Maybe somebody
else can suggest why that might be happening.

--
Michael Fuhr