Re: SQL "OR" Problem

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL "OR" Problem
Date: 2005-08-26 21:32:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

first off, thanks to everyone who posted their
response, this one will address everyone (see below
for reason why).

> 1) Is the t_inspect in there for a reason? I don't
> see it referenced
> in your output or elsewhere in the where clause.
> Perhaps you are
> looking only for inspectors?

great question. i was working on another query and i
must have gotten t_inspect stuck in my head enough
that i couldn't get it out.

> If so, an alternate
> method of writing
> this where the intent is easier to grok is:
> AND exists (select 1 from t_inspect where
> inspect_emp_id =
> t.emp.emp_id)

with the help of everyone here... i was able to get
this to work...

SELECT DISTINCT t_emp.emp_id, t_emp.first_name || ' '
|| t_emp.last_name, t_pos.pos
FROM t_emp, t_pos
WHERE t_emp.pos_id = t_pos.pos_id
AND (t_pos.pos = 'Assembler'
OR t_pos.pos = 'Quality Inspector'
OR t_pos.pos = 'Test Technician')

leaving t_inspect in the query yielded an abbreviated
resultset so removing it (and its associated portion
of the where clause) was necessary to get accurate
results.

> 2) If an employee has several positions

in my current set up, this isn't possible. certain
people are responsible for certain functions and there
is very little overlap. i might decide to revisit
this constraint, though.

> or alternately
> ...t_pos.pos IN ('Assembler', 'Quality Inspector',
> 'Test Technician')

Making this change in my now working query yields the
exact same result - success.

> > 2. if an employee is a Qaulity Inspector...
> This line gave my best chuckle of the day :).

i have to admit, that *IS* funny... but the day isn't
over yet and i may not be finished posting! -lol-

> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

no, no. thank you and everyone else who helped me
with this problem.