Re: Certification Available +Pronounce

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Cleary <robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie>,David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>,Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date: 2005-08-25 16:45:31
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert,

> If certifications are seen in a bad-light, I believe it's directly
> because people sell-out their principles, or just plain set-out to make
> cash.

Well, actually: you're asking a group of users and proponents of an OSS RDBMS
that has no certifications, and until a few years ago wasn't supported by any
large companies and didn't have any compliance certificates or major
reference implementations, what they think of certifications.  What answer
did you expect to get?

Serious hackers never like certifications; they see them as something that
their boss is liable to waste their time making them take.  The people who
like certifications will not generally be subscribed to this list.

> This might be a mad-idea, but if you can build an open-source DBMS,  why
> can't you build a certification by the same process?: open-source
> collaboration for its inception, elaboration, construction and deployment?

Well, first off, how would you keep the questions secret from potential
test-takers?  Also, keep in mind that designing a good certification exam is
a lot of work, like 1000 hours of work.

I'm lazy ... I'd rather just let SRA do their thing.   ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions