Re: Certification Available +Pronounce

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Robert Cleary <robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date: 2005-08-24 16:00:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:51:01PM +0100, Robert Cleary wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:39:30AM +0100, Robert Cleary wrote:
> >>1) Is there a PostgreSQL equivalent certification to the MySQL
> >>Core Certification (btw drawn #8 in certcites.com hottest 05
> >>certifications list)
> >>http://certcities.com/editorial/features/print.asp?EditorialsID=86,
> >>If not, maybe this could be another target to increase pg's
> >>popularity?
> >
> >I'm not sure I understand this question. Could you explain what
> >purposes and whose interests such a certification, if it existed,
> >would serve?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> Well, if those completely-new to databases - see, that outside of
> Microsoft Access, SQL Server, and Oracle - MySQL is the most widely
> downloaded _open-source_ solution
> (http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/marketshare/); and also, that, by
> learning to become proficient in this, they can also get a
> certification (recognised by managers etc.) - then, why not become a
> mysql guru.

If this certification makes a person a "MySQL guru," that's great for
MySQL AB, the corporation, especially in meeting their fiduciary
responsibility to their shareholders.

However, in my experience, there is, if anything, a fairly strong
*negative* correllation between actual skills and acquiring
certifications. It is far from obvious to me that stamping out a
bunch of "Certified PostgreSQL Professionals" would do any good to
PostgreSQL project, however profitable it might be to the certifying
authority.

> My point being, that with the latest developments with pgsql, and
> the media awareness EnterpriseDB has brought by winning the
> SanFrancisco LinuxWorld 05 Best-Database-Solution award, people will
> begin to become aware of pgsql, as a more advanced open-source
> solution with all the readily seen advantages thereof.

Those marketing advantages can quite quickly vanish, or even go
turn into a liability, should a cadre of incompetents brandishing
certificates appear.

> Now, if I can also get certified in that, then why not go for pgsql
> instead.

See above.

> The more DB beginners going for pgsql the better for it's future,
> no?

Not when those beginners are labeled "professionals."

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!