Re: Unexpected ADO properties

From: Bernard Henry Voynet <bhv(at)quebecemail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected ADO properties
Date: 2005-08-22 17:41:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hye Jeff,

You are right when you say that : PostgreSQL has no notion of "autoincrement"

However, we are talking of pgsql-odbc.

ODBC is an abstract layer that "hides" databases technical details.
Even though PostgreSQL uses some "technical details" for giving the "autoincrement" behavior, on the (ODBC) user point of view, it still is an "autoincrement" behavior.

Therefore, concerning PostgreSQL it is the pgsql-odbc responsability to manage this "technical detail".

Technically speaking, pgsql-odbc could in fact query PostgreSQL's catalog to check whether a serial field has its DEFAULT set with a 'nextval' and return, in such case, to ODBC user that it IS an autoincrement field.

Best regards