booleans and nulls

From: "Matt L(dot)" <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: booleans and nulls
Date: 2005-08-21 02:25:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Out of curiousity,

1. Does a boolean column occupy 1byte of disk whether
or not the value is null or not?

2. Is matching on IS NULL or = 0 more efficient?

3. If I ix'd columns w/ null does postgres know
whatevers not indexed is null or would their be no
point?

I currently utilize null fields as 'not a value' has
meaning in a program i've been working on as I don't
want to put false in every column when i only need a
couple with a true/false value.

I'm not joining tables on NULLS, just filtering w/
them.

Thanks