Re: gcc 4.0 build failures on m68k, mips, and mipsel

From: Martin Pitt <martin(at)piware(dot)de>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gcc 4.0 build failures on m68k, mips, and mipsel
Date: 2005-08-20 15:40:44
Lists: pgsql-ports
Hi again,

Martin Pitt [2005-07-24 17:59 +0200]:
> I noticed that PostgreSQL does not build any more with gcc 4.0 on
> m68k, mips, and mipsel because of bugs/incompatibilities in
> src/include/storage/s_lock.h.
> [...]
> However, since I don't have access to a mips/mipsel machine with gcc
> 4.0, I was unable to fix the problem myself, so I just disabled
> spinlocks on these two architectures in Debian for now (which sucks,
> but at least the package builds and works). Does anybody here have a
> MIPS machine and could try this?

A better workaround than disabling spinlocks at all is to compile
s_lock.c with -fno-unit-at-a-time (this is the default in gcc 4 and
breaks it; that was the reason why it worked with gcc 3.3).

However, Thiemo Seufer dealt with this and created a proper tas()
function for PostgreSQL on mips, which also works with gcc 4. Of
course this is much better, so I applied his patch in Debian.

I attach the patch. Do you consider applying it upstream?

Thanks and have a nice weekend,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de