Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>,pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.
Date: 2005-08-20 06:28:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 01:59:59AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > My test cases now succeed where they had been failing.  But if
> > that's the problem, why are your systems behaving differently?
>
> Damifino.  I have just found out that the HPPA 5.8.7 no threads
> build fails in exactly the way you describe ... and I can't really
> get into it with gdb to figure out what's the problem :-(

Interesting; at least we're narrowing down the conditions.

> One thing I see on the HP box is that if "SELECT bar()" fails,
> you can do it over and over and it'll fail each time.  Until you
> call foo directly, and then bar is OK.  You didn't mention having
> tried that --- same for you, or not?

Yep, the same.

> At this point I have the impression that we may be looking at a Perl
> bug.  I also suspect that the thread-support point is significant;
> though I do not know why.

Hmmm...Perl bug, or is PL/Perl doing something that works by accident
in certain Perl builds?  Still, it might be interesting to run this
by somebody familiar with Perl internals.  I expect they'd want a
simplified test case, though, so they didn't have to wade through
all the irrelevant PostgreSQL stuff....

--
Michael Fuhr