Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1831: plperl gives error after reconnect.
Date: 2005-08-18 05:37:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:26:28AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> > Could this be another "depends on the junk on your stack" bug?
>
> Looks that way --- but I've still had no success in reproducing it,
> either on x86/Linux or PPC/Darwin. Anyone have some variant test
> cases?

I see different results depending on whether the calling function
is plperl or plperlu. Here again are the functions -- I'll change
only the language:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo() RETURNS text AS $$
return "foo";
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION bar() RETURNS text AS $$
my $rv = spi_exec_query("SELECT foo()");
return $rv->{rows}[0]->{foo};
$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

SELECT bar();

With HEAD on Solaris 9/sparc I don't have to reconnect before the
SELECT to get the error (I tested both ways, with and without a
reconnect, and it made no difference). Here's what I get with
various language combinations:

foo plperl, bar plperl - Undefined subroutine &main::mksafefunc
foo plperl, bar plperlu - ok
foo plperlu, bar plperl - Undefined subroutine &main::mkunsafefunc
foo plperlu, bar plperlu - ok

I get the same results on FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE/x86 but I have to
reconnect before the SELECT to get the error. On both systems,
if I execute SELECT foo() before SELECT bar() then I don't get
the error.

--
Michael Fuhr