Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Andrew Ford <A(dot)Ford(at)ford-mason(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au
Subject: Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-16 00:26:51
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:51:14PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

> >>I find this peculiar, considering this:
> >>
> >>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-start.html
> >>
> >>Now, perhaps the author's conclusion is just bogus but can anyone
> >>think of
> >>better ways in which we could ease people into PostgreSQL?
> >>

> >I think more than likely it just isn't obvious where the tutorial is.
> >I just went to the website, I clicked documentation, no immediate
> >mention of the tutorial. Then I click 8.0, where is the tutorial?
> >
> >Oh... it is in the beginning of the 1300 pages of documentation.
>
> I think that the documentation should be split (back out) into separate
> books -- tutorial, reference, release notes, etc. It is too unwieldy as
> it is. The release notes at least should be separate -- I was rather

I always have trouble finding info, just about anywhere on the site, and
the docs are no exception. I generally just use the SQL reference, but
there's still a lot of info that's not in that reference.

In this case, I think the real issue is a matter of website design. It
would be good if there was a prominent 'Getting started' link somewhere.
Pervasive Software http://pervasive.com 512-569-9461