Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Cleary <robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?
Date: 2005-08-14 10:30:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 18:23 schrieb Robert Cleary:
> Is there a danger that users new to databases, will skip pgsql
> alltogether and use edb's free version
> or have i missed something obvious here?
> again, appolligies if i'm showing a lack of knowledge about opensource
> here?

If you are looking to move to an open source database system and you install
EnterpriseDB then you have done something wrong because that product is
neither open source, nor compatible to anything open source, nor supported by
an open source community.  Of course that doesn't mean that there are no
reasons to use EnterpriseDB but I can't see them affecting the adoption of
PostgreSQL proper in a negative way. (I can see them affecting the adoption
in a positive way, so yay...)