Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-08-12 15:59:06
Lists: pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:28:22AM +0000, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > >I did not include pg_logdir_ls because that was basically pg_ls_dir with
> > >logic to decode the log file name and convert it to a timestamp.  That
> > >seemed best done in the client.
> >
> > IMHO omitting pg_logdir_ls is a bad idea, because the function is
> > intended to hide server internal's naming scheme from the user. We want
> > as few server side implementation specific client side code as possible.
>
> BTW, it surprised me that one of the functions (don't remember which
> one) expected the log files to be named in a very specific fashion.  So
> there's no flexibility for changing the log_prefix.  Probably it's not
> so bad, but strange anyway.  Is this for "security" reasons?

Righ, pg_logdir_ls() was the function.  My feeling is that the
application has access to the log_directory and log_filename values and
can better and move flexibly filter pg_ls_dir() on the client end than
we can do on the server.  It just seemed like something that we better
done outside the server.