Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Cleary <robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: EnterpriseDB - what happens to pgsql?
Date: 2005-08-12 17:00:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert,

> Just wondering what the general concencus is about enterpriseDB from the
> pgsql community? good or bad?

Good. (my perspective)

> Is there a danger that users new to databases, will skip pgsql
> alltogether and use edb's free version
> or have i missed something obvious here?

Well, I (and other SFPUG community members) just finished 3 days of promoting
OSS PostgreSQL from a "pod" in the EnterpriseDB pavillion at Linux World
Expo. (more about that later) We were distributing "dual" CDs, with
PostgreSQL/PGAdminIII and EnterpriseDB/eDBStudio on them.

eDB fills a nice niche, for people who are looking to migrate to a more
cost-effective alternative to Oracle, but still want corporate support,
licenses, glossy marketing materials, etc. For folks who want an OSS
database that they can hack and re-distribute with their own stuff, they'll
still use "regular" PostgreSQL.

Also, don't forget that eDB is just the latest in our family of companies.
We've quite a few companies who have carved out "niches" reselling PostgreSQL
to particular markets, just as the various Linux resellers serve their own
markets: Fujitsu, SRA, Pervasive, Command Prompt, GreenPlum, and even at one
time Red Hat. And as much as people keep saying that Red Hat is going to
become the Linux monopoly, I've not seen any sign of it happening yet. So
I'm not worried.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions