Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jonathan Gennick <jgennick(at)oreilly(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 14:02:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> is about 6
>> downloads
>>>
>>> Yes but how many of those downloads turned into someone
>> actually using
>>> the software? Probably 5%. How many of those downloads are
>> from people
>>> who already use the software? I have downloaded it myself
>> probably 30
>>> times this year.
>>
>> Definitely concur with that, as I know I've downloaded
>> several hundred copies between reinstalling computers,
>> upgrading postgresql versions, etc ...
>
> But do you download it through the website? AFAIK, direct downloads from
> the mirrors are *not* included in the count above - it's just the
> clickthrough counts on the website..

How is that applicable? The point is that the 775k # is not a "distinct"
#, and doesn't take into account the multiple downloads that happen over
the year ... I just happen to get mine directly from an ftp server, but I
could just have easily gotten my multiple downloads by doing a "fetch"
from the web site itself ...

----