[sig-beer-west] Saturday 8/13 at 18:00 in Berkeley

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [sig-beer-west] Saturday 8/13 at 18:00 in Berkeley
Date: 2005-08-10 03:59:40
Lists: sfpug

Saturday, August 13, 2005 at 18:00[1]
San Francisco Bay area

Beer.   Mental stimulation.

Please note that SBW events now take place on the second Saturday of
the month.

This event:
  * Saturday, 8/13/2005, 18:00, at Jupiter, Berkeley

Coming events (second Saturdays):
  * Saturday, 09/10/2005, 18:00, location to be determined
  * Saturday, 10/08/2005, 18:00, location to be determined
  * Saturday, 11/12/2005, 18:00, location to be determined

The San Francisco Bay area's next social event for techies and their
friends, sig-beer-west, will take place at 18:00 on Saturday, August
13, 2005 at Jupiter, 2181 Shattuck Avenue (at Center Street) across
from the Downtown Berkeley BART station.  Call 510-THE-TAPS for
directions.  They have a fine website with all sorts of good info
  * Jupiter itself[2]
  * Their beer[3]
  * Their food[4]
  * How to get there (contains map)[5]

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, cow-orkers,[6] and
others (of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass with
interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month.  (Do it now
before you forget!)  sig-beer-west occurs on the second Saturday of
each month.

Want to suggest a venue?  Suggestions for new places to sip and gab
are always welcome.  Have questions, comments, or other ideas
concerning sig-beer-west?  Send all correspondence to the current
sig-beer-west Instigator.  The Instigator's handle is extasia. The
Instigator's email address is <*the handle*> at <*the handle*> dot
<*org*>.  A subject beginning with "sbw: " will increase the chances
that the Instigator's spam filters don't block your message.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1.  Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends".  How do I
       know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

    A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend.  You
       just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
       month's event.  That's it.  Simple, huh?

2.  Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in
       hanging out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

    A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
       folks.  Please do join us.

3.  Q: I've been thinking about attending sig-beer-west for some time
       now. Maybe I should start with this event?

    A: Yes!!

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a dc-sage[7] tradition, SIG-beer, which is
described in sig-beer.NET[8] web space as:

SIG-beer, n., origin lost to intoxication:

  1. Special Interest Group - Beer!

  2. An Interprocessor Communications (IPC) signal that should be
     implemented in every O/S kernel. Semantics are left to the
     hardware driver for the Robotic Drinks Server. Expected behavior
     is that kill -beer <pid>

  3. A standing monthly gathering of systems administrators,
     past/present/future, and their ilk in Washington, DC. and other
     worldwide locations. These gathering consists of a friendly
     gathering of people who enjoy tasting/drinking interesting beer
     and chatting about computers, life, and how to implement the
     SIG-beer into their systems. It started with a group of
     dc.sage[9] sysadmins some time in 1997.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)

sfpug by date