Frank's Q&A

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>, frankw(at)greenplum(dot)com
Subject: Frank's Q&A
Date: 2005-08-08 17:11:22
Lists: sfpug

>   * Largest production db?  (I see 32TB in the PostgreSQL FAQ, who is
> that?)

That was RedSheriff, at marketing data warehouse in Australia.   Shortly after
the article, they were acquired by another company and the new management
declined to respond to requests for a case study.

Databases in the 1TB to 2TB range are relatively common now.

> * Number of production databases?

Good luck.   Something between 1/2 and one million people have installed
PostgreSQL 8.0 by our estimates.   I've no idea how to come up with an
installation/production ratio.

>   * Names of Fortune 500 or Global 150 companies using product?

... off the top of my head.  And, of course, lots of government agencies.
Personally, I suspect that 95% of the Fortune 500 are using PostgreSQL at
least on a departmental basis; we just don't know about all of them.

>   * Administrative tools?  (pgadminIII, etc.)
Although note that it's a year out of date.   Maintaners wanted ;-)

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco